I wanted to smoke Gauloises, drink black coffee and talk about absurdity and maquillage with wicked women and doomed young men… I wasn’t interested in happiness, I was looking for the Holy Grail.
meet the blogger
favourite saved url: widowgarret, i.e. “alma garret love of my life” and “so there’s a lot of widows in this garret huh”
the next movie you’re planning to watch: the crying game. i don’t know the twist.
the last movie you watched: kiss kiss bang bang, still delightful
the book you’re currently reading: the borgias: a hidden history, g.j. meyer; studies on isabella d’este’s art collection and the virgin mary cult in haiti for classes; jaclyn moriarty’s new book!!
favourite female fictional character: tallula demetriou
favourite male fictional character: angelo
the number of songs on your iPod: over 11k, i need to clean it out
that one song that’s been stuck in your head all week: it’s been a “gold trans am” kind of week
what would your patronus be?: this ridiculous thing
the fictional character you identify with most: natalie beyer in coast of utopia—i’m a tom stoppard tertiary, it’s FINE
favourite word: too many to choose. (“clarion” was the first thing to pop into my head, so that’s apparently my favorite word this second?)
while i will never change my url, it tickles me to have “widowgarret” on lock
- i should have priority re. alma garret appreciation
- but also it sounds like a garret full of widows, and that’s not wrong either
Matthew Goode and Rebecca Ferguson on the set of Ridley Scott’s new TV drama The Vatican
#that girl in the red dress is basically isabel
: She molded her facade in her own chosen image, and composed her behavior with a cold intolerance for doubt. Though she, like anyone, had plenty to regret, she wouldn't lower herself to bother with it. She believed--no, she ASSERTED--that her life had a narrative, and no other being was worthy to author it.
Anon, I am terribly proud.
a brief biography of yours truly, by jo
“tell me when,” the waiter says as he starts grating my parmesan cheese on my pasta. i sit there in silence and watch as the restaurant fills with cheese and suffocates everyone
Okay, hi, I just got a shitload (scientific and exact measurement) of new followers and it bulldozed me right past one of those numerical milestones that makes you go “fucking hell”. THERE ARE A LOT OF YOU, YOU ARE NEW, I AM ISABEL, NICE TO SORT OF SILENTLY MEET YOU, DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING INTO.
Here are things you should know:
- I am living a hilarious girl-in-the-city New York cliché. Hipster university, tiny apartment, walking distance to more than one specialty whiskey bar. I am living in platonic sin with Maddi, whom you should follow if you want to make head or tail of anything that ever happens here. If Girls (HBO) had any pretensions of being interesting, it could try being about us. (Feat. other regular IRL credits.)
- I’m studying medieval & Renaissance studies, plus Russian and politics minors; specialties include the Borgia family, sexy religious iconography, sorceresses. I get excited easily. (I’m also interning at a literary agency, which I won’t talk about much because of ~book secrets, but it’s wonderful.)
- I am a WASP/Eastern European narrative-excess cocktail. Family members of mine worked for the dictatorship in Romania before it fell. Family friends of mine want me to marry into the Chilean landed gentry, but I have until I’m twenty-eight to chew that one over. The theme you should take away from this is: I will never be making it up.
- Yesterday I woke up with the outline of a Deadwood essay written on my arm, since I couldn’t yell at the internet about it when it was in my head (contributions to the internet these days tend to be Yelling About Deadwood, And Sometimes Justified). In large letters, I’d written “UNTENABLE STRRUCTURES”, because it was 3 AM when I’d written it on me and I hadn’t turned on the light to see what I was writing. You will think I am being overwrought when I talk about reacting to things, perhaps, but I will never be making it up.
- I like women who consume, men who are consumed, and the catalytic/catastrophic sex they have.
- I like Measure for Measure. No, I REALLY LIKE Measure for Measure.
- I need to clean out my inbox something fierce, but if you talk to me, I will probably talk back.